What can I say? Cookies are delicious. My boyfriend loves coconut and I have no problem trying out recipes that include it. I chose coconut macaroons because we were making a batch of mayonnaise and the recipe for that doesn’t include the whites of the egg. So what to do? I got my google on and found a recipe that was Paleo friendly and sugar free which can be found HERE. I didn’t quite follow the instructions so I’ve updated it below.
Honey Coconut Macaroons
Makes: about 2.5 dozen cookies
- 3 cups shredded unsweetened coconut
- 2 Tbsp coconut flour
- 2/3 cup honey
- pinch salt
- 6 egg whites
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Put a silpat or parchment paper on a baking sheet and set it aside. (I used parchment paper)
- Toss the shredded coconut with the coconut flour.
- Stir the honey into the coconut and mix together.
- Add the salt to your egg whites and with an immersion blender, beat them until the whites are fluffy and they form peaks when you lift the blender out of the bowl. (My boyfriend used a mug, but I’m sure a bowl works just as well.)
- Gently fold the egg whites into the coconut and honey mixture until everything is combined.
- Drop tablespoons of the dough (or if you have a cookie scoop like I do, use that.), a few inches apart, on your baking sheet.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-25 minutes until the centers are just set and the edges are golden.
These were super tasty! It was nice and crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and yes… you can definitely taste the coconut. I would definitely make these gluten and sugar free deliciousness again. I’m thinking for next time I will melt some unsweetened chocolate and drizzle it over the top of these. Mmm… chocolate. ENJOY!