Every two weeks I get a “Harvest” box from this company called Full Circle and inside this box is a variety of in season local and organic fruits and vegetables. FYI… if you sign up you can save 25% with the promo code: NEWREFER and you would use my name in the “Who referred you” section. If you’re interested let me know!! 😛
Anyhoo… in the box this week I got a bunch of Rainbow Carrots. Who knew that carrots can come in colors other than orange? Each carrot has a different flavor to it and I would have to say that the traditional orange that we all know is still my favorite. If I get a vegetable in the box that I have no idea how to cook, I usually look up different recipes and pick one that sounds the tastiest. For this particular veggie I went with a simple roast and easy herbed garlic butter recipe. It had also been a while since my last seafood dish so I figured salmon would pair up perfectly.
The fish that I used was frozen wild caught salmon that I purchased at Smart and Final. Fresh is always better, but this is what I had on hand last night. Please note that I do not measure when I cook so all measurements listed below are guesstimates.
Roasted Rainbow Carrots in a Garlic Herb Butter Sauce
2 lbs of Rainbow Carrots (or if you don’t have these luxury carrots then go ahead and use regular carrots. Oh and I THINK it was two pounds. Peel and chop em.)
1-2 tblsp of bacon fat (optional)
1 stick of butter
4-5 Garlic Cloves (or if you have already minced garlic, but in about a tablespoon or two. Depends on how garlicky you want it.)
1-2 tblsp of fresh Italian Parsley (Note: You can use any herb that you like. This is just what I had on hand. If using dried herbs, I would suggest using 1 tblsp or less.)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Note: So for this recipe I had leftover bacon grease from when I cooked bacon for a tuna salad recipe that I had made as a pre-workout snack earlier. If you don’t have bacon fat then you can use coconut oil or even butter. I also used the same pan that I cooked the bacon in and this pan happens to be oven safe. If you don’t have an oven safe pan then a baking dish is absolutely fine. The recipe below is how I cooked it with the pan, and I add additional instructions if you are using just a baking dish.
1. Preheat oven to 350F and Preheat oven proof pan on stove at medium high heat to melt the bacon fat/coconut oil/butter.
2. When your pan is hot and what you put in it has melted put in the carrots.
3. Melt the stick of butter and while that is melting, mince up the garlic and parsley. Mix.
4. Stir your carrots that are sizzling in the pan.
5. Add butter mixture.
6. Stir to evenly distribute the butter mixture.
7. Pop pan in oven and cook for 30-45 minutes until the carrots are tender, but not mushy. Unless you like mushy then YAY! 😛
Note: So if you’re just using a baking dish, you can use two sticks of butter with the garlic and herbs. Pour it over the carrots and then you stir/mix the carrots in the melted butter so that it’s all coated evenly. Pop it into the oven for 30-45 minutes and DONE!
Lemon Pepper Salmon
1-2 lbs of salmon filet
3-4 tblsp of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large lemon (You’re gonna squeeze the juice out)
Salt and Pepper to taste
1. Preheat grill to medium high heat.
2. Place your salmon fillets in a bowl and add all ingredients.
2. Make sure that all sides of the fish is evenly coated.
3. Grab foil pieces big enough to wrap the fish.
4. Put fish on the grill and cook for 5 minutes on each side. Fish is cooked when the meat flakes easily when you prick it with a fork.
Final step is to plate your carrots and salmon:
Super YUM!! I ended up pouring some of the butter sauce over the fish and that added more flavor. Hope you enjoyed this dish as much as I did!! ENJOY!