I had every intention of coming to work on time this morning, but decided to bake muffins instead. I was in the kitchen finishing up the last of my breakfast when I noticed that the bananas were going ripe, and when I mean ripe, I mean that there are brown spots everywhere and no one likes the soft banana. I had a feeling that if I left those there that they would just end up in the trash. So rather than wasting perfectly good bananas, I preheated the oven and got to baking.
This recipe is from the site: http://paleomg.com and they’re originally supposed to be donuts, but I don’t have a donut pan. So I made them muffins and omitted a few things. The original “Chocolate Banana Coffee Donuts” recipe can be found HERE. Below is an adaptation from that recipe.
GLUTEN/SUGAR FREE BANANA DATE MUFFINS
4 Medjool Dates, Pitted
1/4 cup coconut flour
2 tblsp of melted coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1/4 tsp of baking powder
*Optional – 1/8 cup honey. To be honest, the ripe bananas and dates are sweet enough. Try a batch without the honey and if you think it’s not sweet enough then for your next one, add the honey.
1. Preheat oven to 375 F.
2. In a food processor, puree the bananas.
3. Add the pitted dates (and honey if you’re using it) and puree.
4. Add eggs and puree.
5. Add dry ingredients and coconut oil and blend til smooth.
6. Grab your muffin tin and line with paper liners.
7. There should be enough batter to fill all cups evenly.
8. Pop in oven for 20-25 minutes. They are done when you stab them in the middle with a toothpick and it comes out clean.
9. Take them out of pan and let cook on a bakers rack for a couple of minutes.
10. ENJOY!! If you want to save them, store in an airtight container. They’ll last about a week.