Do you know how easy it is to make chicken stock? Any stock really. All you need are bones and your aromatics. As you can tell from the title, it’s a chicken stock recipe and believe me when I tell you that it is VERY easy. You can even make this in your crock pot if you wanted to. All you are going to need is leftover bones and skin from chicken. Did you have a roasted chicken for dinner or lunch? You can use those! If you didn’t then a trip to your local butcher will work just as well. They usually have leftover chicken parts that they have for sale or you could maybe get for free. Usually the backs of chicken or even if they went so far as to de-boning a chicken. Ask! You can use chicken stock in a number of recipes. Instead of boiling your noodles, rice or potatoes in water, why not try boiling it in stock? It’ll add so much more flavor to your dish.
So here’s what you’re going to need for this recipe…
Leftover chicken bones and skin
Herbs (Parsley, Rosemary, etc. Whichever you have on hand. Preferably fresh, but dry will work just as well.)
Salt and Pepper
1. Put chicken bones and skin into a large pot and cover it with water. Add your aromatics and seasoning to the pot and turn stove to high. Bring water to boil and as soon as it does, turn the heat down to a simmer.
2. Place lid on pot and let it do it’s thing for 4 to 6 hours.
3. Every so often you can skim the foam that appears on the surface of the liquid.
4. After the 4-6 hours, take out the bones and strain the stock. You can use cheesecloth or a paper towel lined sieve. Discard the solids. OR… if you want to keep the solids, then at least take out the bones and using an immersion blender/blender you can blend the veggies into the stock.
5. All done!! Store in your fridge for future use. Please note that storage in the fridge is good for a week. If you freeze the stock it is good for a month. ENJOY!
Oh and to cook it in your crock pot/slow cooker all you have to do is throw everything in and set your temperature to Low (8-10 hours) or High (4-6 hours). Then do #3-5. 🙂