I posted earlier in the week about pizza and how much I miss it. Well, PaleoJoe was getting his google on and found this super easy recipe on YouTube. Perfect Primal Gluten Free Pizza Crust. The recipe can also be found HERE. PaleoJoe and I have made this pizza crust several times and we enjoy it every time. You can put whatever cheese or toppings that you like. So if you have a friend that is vegetarian and one that isn’t then you can easily make two different pizzas so all are happy. Total cook time is about 40-45 minutes. I’m sure you can make the crust ahead of time and freeze it for later use. I haven’t tried it yet because we’ve always had it fresh, but again I’m sure it’s doable. I’ve copied and pasted the original recipe and it’s in BOLD. Everything else is my comments.
Perfect Primal Gluten Free Pizza Crust
1/2 cup of coconut milk (or full fat milk)
1/3 cup coconut flour
1/3 cup flax meal
Add any spices or flavors you’d like to get a tasty crust. You can also cut the crust in strips and use as breadsticks. I personally add:
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
garlic powder (i don’t measure, i just add til i think its awesome)
(PaleoJoe and I used minced garlic in the crust instead of garlic powder, and I even threw in about 2-3 tablespoons of parmesan cheese.)
1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
2. Mix dry ingredients together.
3. Mix wet ingredients together and add to dry ingredients. Mix well. It should have the consistency of pancake batter.
4. Using a large cookie sheet and parchment paper, spread your batter into whatever shape you like. Please keep in mind that you will be flipping the crust halfway through the cooking time. PaleoJoe and I like to spread the batter so that it fills half the sheet. See picture below. Try and spread the batter so that it’s as even as possible.
5. Pop it into oven and cook for about 10-15 minutes. (Some oven temperatures vary.)
6. While your crust is cooking, use the time to prep your toppings.
7. 10-15 minutes have elapsed. Time to flip your crust. Carefully (Your pan just came out of the oven. IT’S HOT! BE CAREFUL!!) grab the end of the parchment paper and fold over to meet the other end. Lift and flip! Your crust is now on the opposite side of the pan. Put it back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes and continue to prep your toppings if you have more to prep.
8. The second half of the crust cooking is complete. Turn oven to BROIL and top your crust with your toppings of choice.
9. Put it in the oven and let cook for about 3-5 minutes. You’re just melting the cheese so keep and eye on it.
Mmmm… pizza… If you’re planning to put any meat on the pizza, I suggest that you cook it ahead of time rather than putting it on the pizza to cook. Or… you keep the temperature at 350 F instead of broil (when you put the toppings) and you can cook it that way. It’s just going to take longer because now you’re cooking the meat. Why wait for pizza any longer?! My favorite cheese mixture to put on pizza is Mozzarella, Monterey Jack and Fontina. I also like Parmesan, Asiago, Gruyere, and sometimes even Cheddar. Again, it’s entirely up to you what you want to put on your pizza.
Here’s to you my fellow Paleo/Primal Brethren! ENJOY!